Saturday, January 23, 2010

Water Kefir Anyone?

I have recently become a Weston Price convert.  There is just so much information in there that I shan't bother to replicate it here.

If you know me, you would know that I am blessed with a slim (bordering on skinny) figure despite eating HEAPS.  Last few months, I began to get really fed up with eating all the time and never feeling satisfied.  Really!! (And I probably eat tons more than any of you reading this).

Then I found out about Weston Price and Nourishing Traditions.  Now, I indulge in traditional foods, nice bone broths, add plenty of healthy, saturated fats and good meat / proteins to my meals, and lower the excessive carbs I was practically binging on to stay full. 

I finally feel satisfied after my meals, and hardly ever crave potato chips or junk food in the late afternoon or before bedtime. 

But I digress.  Anyway, in Nourishing Traditions, Sally Fallon talks about every traditional culture (yes, even us Chinese!!!) eating fermented foods for healthy gut and great digestion.....and because I used to suffer from multiple food allergies, I concluded that perhaps my gut has never ever been all that well / strong and I sought a dairy-free source of probiotics (since yogurt and dairy is out for me).

So I found out about this wonderful thing called water kefir - it's THE solution for dairy-allergy people like me - and it's way way cheaper than any yogurt or Yakult or Vitagen I can buy.  Or any acidophilus supplements for that matter.


You can read more about stuff here, here, and here.  Well, I googled "water kefir Singapore" and didn't come up with anything.  After a lot of googling and trying out different search terms, I finally found Kefirbaby who lives in KL, who could ship her LIVE (!!!!) grains to me!



So here are my grains, and I make 1 liter of nice probiotic drinks for Little Pixie, Tin Hang Zai and I every couple of days, for easily less than SGD$1 a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment